Tuesday 16 August 2022

Purpose of This Blog

I enjoy tackling tough questions and finding an objective answer to them.  But the tough question that I face as I work on this blog is: why write anything here at all?

The source for that question comes from the fact that the objective answers are readily available by appealing to God Himself, and He has chosen to reveal truth through His life lived as a human named Jesus (John 14:6) and through a specific collection of books (the Bible) that He has designated (2 Timothy 3:16) to tell His story.  God promises to give wisdom to those who ask it of Him (James 1:5).  The same chapter that outlines that promise also tells us to be slow to speak (James 1:19).

True, the Bible says that if we have gift of teaching, to teach (Romans 12:7). But it also says that not many of us should become teachers, as those who teach will be judged with greater strictness (James 3:1).

Sometimes when we look at life’s tough questions, like, “what’s the point?” we get lost in the chaos of seemingly conflicting answers that the world, and even the Bible supplies.  But God is not a God of confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33), and we can trust Him to lead us (Proverbs 3:6; Romans 8:14).

Right now, God is showing me that He is a God that is all about meeting needs (James 1:27; James 2:16).  I spend a great deal of time working in a grocery store, and some would say that I’m helping feed the community around me through that action.  But when Jesus asks Peter to feed His sheep (John 21:17), He was talking about more than merely providing physical food.  So, while there’s an expectation for me to meet the physical needs that He highlights for me to meet, I believe that the “feeding” that I am primarily called to do is spiritual.

The interesting thing about spiritual needs is that it’s something that it’s impossible for me to meet.  I can say all the right words and make little impact.  But spiritual needs are met by God who uses us in our weakness to achieve His perfect ends.

So the purpose of this blog is to, out of my love for God, point out that He has already revealed the answers.  This blog has been, and will hopefully remain, a helpful tool for me as I grow in knowledge and aid others in doing the same.

I hope that my writings will be similar to the parables of Jesus.  If Jesus’ listeners had already been in a right relationship with God, His teachings wouldn’t have introduced some innovative new idea, but rather highlight an intuitive truth.  But Jesus was the only One with a perfect relationship with God, and we often need to be told many times in different ways before we understand even a simple concept.  Jesus used parables to speak to His contemporaries in a language that they were familiar with.  In the same way, I know that this blog isn’t presenting some brand new idea that God hasn’t already revealed, but I hope that the arrangements of words that I use will glorify God and accurately portray His truths using language that my readers can easily connect with.

There are plenty of people similar to me: excited by God, and able to add clarity to difficult topics.  I do not know how successful I will be, but I hope to focus on only contributing to the conversation where do not observe others saying things the same way that I would, and as much as possible, referring my readers to other speakers – primarily God Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment